October 1, 2010

Slicker

The soundtrack of their life.

Essentially, that's what good musicians do. They interpret their mood swings and trials by making noise. The poignant noise is Music. Maybe musicians could be looked at as the deviant, stubborn kids who made a lot of noise when they didn't get what they wanted - somehow, armed with a different spin. If this was truly the case, these are the same ones who never got their opinion heard while they were little, and as they grew up, they created a way to make people listen to them, as if to say, "You have no other option other than to listen to what I have to fucking say..." And it's an amazing feeling when you totally nail it and get that appreciation. 


Maybe that's why I burned out almost as soon as I got recognized. Creativity, pleasure, fun - all these sort of slacken at some point of life for everyone. For people like us, we live with massive highs and lows - that's why you get to see stories of rehab, failed marriages & poor band morale a whole lot in this business.

I sometimes twist my face up and laugh when I hear people list out their "influences"... What the fuck are they talking about? Everything is an Influence. The sights we see, the stuff we smell, the people we like, the people we don't (even if we hate these people and don't want to be anything like them, that's a model - we will do everything they don't, thereby become unconsciously influenced by them)...That's why every experience is unique, and every person has the skill to be exceptional - there's no one quite like anyone else in the world. Fact.

Doing this takes a lot of work, and sometimes you end up drained of any energy. Or it just comes with a history of manic depression.

Here's how bi-polarity works. There's no point in existence, yet there's a joy in discovering things. A mind like this is delighted by very few things, yet it's intrigued by everything. That's why criticism in these cases is sharp, direct & detailed. The mind in its natural state tends to wander. However, the mind that considers anything & everything - cancels the unimportant; and zeroes in on the important...

A disbelief in the supernatural earned me a lot of hate, ironically, from the same people who apparently believed in the "message" of peace of love. Fuck Peace & Love. That's Hippy Banter. How about Honesty & Tolerance as the only real values we really need to live an enjoyable existence? I suppose this is too abstract an idea for people who're so subtly indoctrinated by established norms & customs & belief-systems that they can't even imagine the thought of having a different thought... Absence of belief infers presence of mind - or the need to analyze & interpret things rationally. That's it. If belief is your mechanism to act better & be better to others, then you aren't really "good". For you, Decency is an obligation; or reflex actions based on the fear of reactionary dogma.

That's a really potent mix of characteristics to form a deranged personality, isn't it?  Atheism, Bi-Polarity, Assertiveness, Complexity. But it seemed to fit my turbulent lifestyle. Burnouts occur a lot when you're this eccentric. I remember playing a song for 4 hours non-stop, because I thought I heard something wrong with it. Four hours into listening to it, I caught one-stray-note & recorded it again. It happened when I had to shift from a riff to a melody, to a riff, to a solo to a riff... It's the last riff that always fucked with me. So I had to change the way I held the guitar at that particular time - for about 2 seconds, and keep playing while I held the guitar in this weird angle. Was it necessary? Probably not... Did I learn something new from it? Sure... Was the song truly bad-ass? Hell Yeah!!!!!

I really do miss the rest of them. I wish I had been wiser then, but it's an illogical view-point. All I could say is this award, as happy as I am to receive it, is nothing compared to the stuff I've experienced - even the fucked up stuff...

Dan Burton. ex-member of legendary Thrash metal band Black Abyss
On his time in the band, about himself and winning the Metal Axe Guitar God Award of 2011


END

No comments:

Post a Comment